Monday, April 27, 2009

We're Engaged!!

This weekend took a very unexpected turn when Micah popped the question on Saturday night!! :) I think I'm a pretty hard person to surprise - I'm a bit of a control freak, but Micah really pulled one over on me. Here's the story...

We were supposed to go to New Orleans this weekend, but Micah ended up having to work. So I hung around the house painting all day (another story in itself) and decided I wanted to BBQ that night so I was thawing hamburger meat and getting dinner together when the phone rang. It was my sister, Emily. She started telling me how her and Matt (my BIL) had plans with her neighbors to go to Shakespeare in the Park at this outdoor theatre downtown, but her neighbors bailed on them and she wanted Micah and I to come.

After I thanked her for the second-choice invite, I told her I didn't think we could make it because I was already cooking dinner and Micah was still at work. She immediately went into full-blown guilt trip mode - telling me how I always make her go do things that she doesn't really want to do and yadayadayada... Then she tells me she is going to call Micah and "talk him into going". Nice try, I was thinking in my head, Micah wouldn't want to go to Shakespeare in the Park and I would be off the hook. So it came as a little bit of a shock to me when Micah called me on his way home from work saying he told Emily that we would go with them for a little while and that I should be nicer to my sister.

After much more complaining, I reluctantly threw on a dress and some make-up and we were on our way to Shakespeare in the Park. Micah called my sister and Matt on the way there to make sure they were on their way too. We arrived at the park and made our way toward the theatre.

I called Emily again to make sure she had something for us to sit on and she assured me she was on her way with a blanket. Micah suggested we walk around the park until Emily and Matt arrive. It was a really pretty park with a lake and really neat looking sculptures and statutes everywhere. We made our way over to one statute in the middle of the park and Micah sat down on a bench. I was about to follow his lead, when I stopped and said that looks like the most uncomfortable bench ever (I was still being a brat)! Finally, tired of standing, I sat down on the bench next to Micah, and as I was reaching for my phone to call Emily again, Micah stood up and said Emily and Matt aren't coming.

He told me that he wanted to bring me here to ask me a very important question. I was so completely shocked, surprised, and excited when he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!!! I pulled him on the bench with me and immediately started kissing him and apologizing for being such a brat and making it so difficult for him to propose to me. I still can't believe I didn't pick up on what was going on, but I really had no idea!!

I was even more shocked when he pulled out a gorgeous, vintage diamond ring circa the 1920s and told me it was one-of-a-kind, just like me!! It couldn't have been more perfect - and I couldn't be happier engaged to such a perfect man.

We have so many reasons to celebrate lately between the baby, my being done with law school and our engagement, but I am most excited about spending my life with Micah and having a family together!!





















2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!!! That is so exciting! Can't wait to see the bling in person, it sounds so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Looks like you are going to be joining the mommy and wife club:)

    ReplyDelete